Thursday, January 22, 2009

New Code

The new code is just about finished. There are some kinks that I have yet to work out but I will document my progress here. The decay chain I am recreating is this one:



I put in the following values for the masses into the code in an attempt to recreate the parameters of MLB:

Particle 4: Mass = 170 GeV
Particle 3: Mass = 80 GeV
Particle 2: Mass = 0.0001 GeV
Particle A: Mass = 0.1 GeV
Particle B: Mass = 0.1GeV

To test the code I calculated the invariant mass of 2+A+B to make sure that it came out to 170 GeV as it should:



So I know the mass formulae that I derived for the 4-vectors are correct. Next I tried to make some triangles using the invariant mass of A+B:



Not quite a triangle unfortunately. The end point is in the correct place and I ran the code again using only 180 degree decay angles and it gave a single peak at 150 GeV. So at least I can be 100% confident that the Lorentz boost function is working properly.

I thought maybe there is a problem with the random number generator so I plotted the Theta/Phi distribution of 2 and B in the rest frame of 3:



Pretty much spherically symmetric. Currently continuing the investigating on why the code isn't giving my triangles.

No comments: